have bike will tour

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek 520, Trek 2120

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Post 2

Hi
Thanks for reading and thanks for leaving some words for me. I logged on today and was pleased to fo9nd someone was thinking about me. The first week is done and I got 300 miles in, considering the heat and humidity it is respectable mileage even though I tool a day off early from being done in by the heat.

Lot6s of cool stuff to write about but my time is limited here on the computer and I wished I could type as fast as my friend Joanne does she can type faster than I can talk!

I met a few days ago a fellow touring biker going the opposite direction. Named Jake or jack cant remember for sure. He started in Main and was headed on the northern tier I have rode it twice so I had some advice for him. He had an old back pack strapped on to his bike but he had a great spirit and energy.

A little further was a town I wanted to get breakfast in when I got there the dinner wasn’t open yet too early I guess. I figured in 10 miles was a larger town and would eat there. I could see another cyclist up ahead so I pedaled fast to catch him or her. I did catch up on a hill the guy was walking up the hill I shouted I don’t want to stop on a hill he said “ok” I thought id wait for him on top to talk but I could see it would take him too long so I went on.

I found a diner at the next town and went in for pancakes, One guy asked if I was the fellow he passed on the road and it turned out it was me he asked how I got there so fast? I just said” I was hungry”! he asked about the guy ion the recumbent and if we were riding together I told him what I knew. I must have stayed for 45 minutes talking to everyone and eating. I kept a watch out for the other fellow I still wanted to talk to him.

As I got back on the road I immediately ran into him again he was walking up another hill I stoped and talked to find out about him her is what i know……

His name is Dwight and he is from La Crosse 62 years old just retired and decided to ride to maine then to Florida then to west coast and back big dreams. But I say go for it. His recumbent was geared much too high for touring and he was finding out he was camping but not cooking. HE planned to get a motel n Muscatine tonight instead of camping. HE was a critical point he was tired admitted he wasn’t in shape to tour and could have easily given up. I talked a long time with him and told him not to worry about miles and he would be in better shape each day take a day off and rest and find a bike shop to change those gears . he asked a lot of questions once he relaxed and when I told him of all my mistakes he said gee maybe I am not doing so bad after all YEA! So I bid him Farwell and rode on. I found myself wondering about him a few times and how he is doing I wished we would have exchanged e mail addresses.

In Muscatine I met a fine woman that took me in for the night I made dinner in exchange.
Next morning I was on my way to another town. I picked up a little tail wind and was making good time but it started to rain and io got soaked of course I knew I had dry clothes to put on later so I didn’t worry and I t was chilly too this weather is weird from hot and humid to cold and rainy. The rain didn’t let up so I decided on a motel the only place open had a pool and was expensive but I treated myself top the luxury.

Got out early 6am no rain but cloudy and cool and a TAIL WIND again ya hooooo… made my way yo Hamilton Illinois and camped in the city park they had a great pool I was the only camper and it was also a frisbe golf course… I had heard about this but never knew anyone that played. From some of the player I found out it is one of the best courses around.

Woke up early for a nature call at 4:30 am clear sky full of stars too early to get up I thought how nice it s dry and a roll and go morning no fog no dew!. Then about 5:30 it started to sprinkle I was under a big tree and the tent was sheltered but it did get some drops on it soon it was over and when the sun came up it dried the tent fly fast.

I made coffie and oatmeal then got rolling at 6:30 or so. Rode along the river road low traffic and stopped in the first town for pancakes nice friendly place. Rolling again now……..

Back roads past farms mostly raising soy beans and corn. Got to one town and a lady was selling tree ripened peaches out of a pick up truck I pulled in and asked the rice it was 5 dollars and some per bag I said I only want one she shad heck ill give you one for a smile and some conversation. Hey no problem she gave me one for the road we talked about Lance and a guy I would meet later 80 years old that rides every day yet I got going since I wanted to make Hannibal today

Once io got on the bottom road I thought I saw a biker ahead of me very little traffic on this road I hammered to catch him it turned out to be Dick Boke (sp?) anyway this is the 80 year old guy she told me about I pulled along side and introduced myself he has got 110,000 miles since he turned 62 including 6 centuries he showed me a article they did in the paper he did 100 miles on his 80th birthday we rode together into Quincy Illnois. He kept a good pace of 15-16 mph the tail wind was nice. When we got to Quincy he said he would take me through town a short cut and avoid some bad hills and traffic we rode through some industrial parts and back out on to the hy we stopped and took each others pictures and said good by.

I was rolling along and a fellow stopped in a car and wanted to talk he is also a cyclist and touring biker her gave me directions to a camp place in Hannibal and a Mosurie map
To get into town you cross the river on a interstate bridge but they did it nice made a nice wide shoulder for bikes and you have to exit at the first exit on the other side.

Stopped in the visitor center and met Susie we had a ncie chat while I rested and got better directions to the camp site and a computer to use for a while till she needs it Tomorrow ui will come back into town and in the afternoon she is going to drive me top some places she knows I might like to see I am taking a extra day her to rest up for what is ahead of me HILLS and big roller coaster hills soon the Ozarks are coming too but what the heck gear down and climb.

Ok time is up I might try again later keep doing what ever it is that you like to do me I just want to ride the bike
catfish