Old 07-27-04, 10:31 AM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worst crash or worst injury?

My worst crash was one in which I was relatively unhurt with the exception of hundreds of scratches from the vines I landed in.

I was doing some early morning solo riding and came to one of my favorite descents. It's a ridge with drop-offs on either side. It had been raining the day before and the soil at these trails have a lot of clay in them. When it rains, it gets super tacky. When it rains a lot (which it had done) it gets SLICK! Since I was solo, I decided to take it pretty easy. I was riding my brakes a bit too much. BIG MISTAKE! Most of the time your momentum is your friend. The lack thereof was my downfall, or should I say "FALL DOWN!". My front tire started sliding sideways, I released the brake to regain control, but it was too far gone. I hit some rocks on the side of the path and endoed bigtime. I knew it was coming and focused on my landing spot off to the right. I tucked my head and rolled onto my back as I hit the grape vines. (underbrush) and the downward slope of the ridge I was riding. No biggie! Except that the underbrush was so thick, I was still 8' off of the ground. Plus, I was going so fast that when I hit this underbrush, I rolled. I rolled and rolled and finally ended up about 25' down the side of the ridge. Kinda fun. Problem was, I couldn't get down safely. I couldn't climb back up, so the only thing to do was to dig down, drop about 8' to the ground and walk back up the trail. Then I had to climb down the other side to retrieve my bike. Nothing broken (on me, nor my bike) but the grape vines tore me up. Every exposed part of skin, including face was scratched, just to the point where it broke the skin, but wasn't really bleeding.

Then, about 5 mins. later, I got a flat and as I was changing it, it started to rain.

NOT a fun day!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger