View Single Post
Old 10-22-07, 05:57 PM
doghouse

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I got the story, Will was passed by a faster rider who then began to slow down. Will, not anticipating the slow down, could not decrease his speed as quickly as the rider and could not get to the inside from his position. He then decided pass the guy but had to cross the center line to do so. At this point he saw an oncoming car decending the hill and hit his brakes. The rest is history.

I want to add a something else. First, I met a new friend, TallSteve on this forum who then came to the event. Second, this new friend was there to attend my son when I was not. To my knowledge, severe road rash and some stitches were the extent of damage to any rider who went down and I assure you it could have been much worse. Third, SAG had just passed. Will had put their number in his phone at the beginning of the ride so he had the phone number to call for immediate help. Fourth, his mom, attending her first ever ride had completed half of the family ride and was standing beside the lead SAG car when they got the call. They took her to the hospital to meet the ambulance carrying Will. (I went to find our other son at the rest area ahead.) I believe coincidences are miracles in which God chooses to remain anonymous.

My sincere thanks to all who assisted.