Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
steve, so what you're saying is that

a) riding 'vehicularily' is different than riding like a pedestrian; and

b)vehicular bicycling can take place in a bike lane or shoulder of a road if in the correct direction of travel and 'between junctions- (which i would expand a bit, but that's perhaps the subject of another thread)
Yes, I agree with what you have written above, as a starting point for agreeing on what the spirit of vehicular cycling means.

Your statement does not imply that using the travel lane between junctions instead of the bike lane or shoulder is wrong, nor does it imply that the shoulder or bike lane is always usable or always desirable for use between junctions. But I don't think those issues are really relevant to the spirit of the definition of vehicular cycling.
Originally Posted by Bekologist
my how you dodge the reality that a bike lane can be vehicular, steve.

I've never been concerned about your argument to that effect one way or another. I don't bring up discussion of bike lane stripes because they have little relevance to cycling safety and cycling technique except when they are improperly designed or collect debris. When I teach Road I in downtown Cary, none of the roads we use even have bike lane stripes; the only time we discuss bike lanes in the class is to make cyclists aware of when to avoid them by recognizing common hazards. Bike lane use is about as important to understanding the spirit of vehicular cycling as one's choice of chain lube.