Thread: Spindles
View Single Post
Old 10-25-07, 08:27 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for three msgs in a row, but I keep mulling this over in my mind.

Spindles come in different overall lengths, but unfortunately the distance between the two bearing races is always the same distance. (Is this true? Anyone? Strange variants out there? One-piece ashtabula cranks? Remember the old Viscount/Lambert press-fit BB's?) So, the only way to reduce that distance might be to have a machine shop fab up a spindle with a shorter middle section. Machining the faces on the end would be a snap, as would threading a hole in the end. But machining the little rim that the unsealed bearings press on would be very hard (very tight tolerances, and would have be surface hardened). It occurs to me that if you used cartridge bearings, this rim would be unnecessary. So, the machining of a special, shorter spindle would not be too hard.

Is this machine intended for use in a relatively short engineering competition? Or are you planning on building a practical sub to be used for longer periods (are you planning on running the Union blockade or something?). If the first, I would think that are some options that would work. If the second, then I think you need to go to BushnellsturtleForums.net to get answers about seaworthy bearing solutions.

j

Last edited by jgedwa; 10-25-07 at 11:58 AM.