View Single Post
Old 10-25-07, 10:03 AM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Yes, IT is a form of obsessive compulsive disorder I think. And I have it. It's like straightening the fringe on a carpet or lining up pencils But I'm not at all into the whole matching numbers, original air in the tires thing. And I love that "what if they had made this" scenario. And my Bottecchia is not 100% original - it's sporting period Rigida clincher rims, and a NR rear derailleur, and a smooth shifting Shimano freewheel among other things. And lets not forget the Look pedals. But it looks correct to all but the purist. I like to say "if I had owned this bike back then, how would I have modified it to suit my needs and taste given the parts that were available around that time?" And of course I make exceptions for really significant advances like clipless pedals. It's all in good fun. My friend keeps his bike well maintained (and he's an old bike mechanic anyway) and rides it regularly. He just doesn't have the obsessive-compulsive need to make it look "correct". I'll just avert my eyes when I pass the bike rack.