Old 10-29-07, 10:54 AM
Daveyboy

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works SL2, Redline Conquest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daveyboy
I have both a cyclocross bike and a road bike. The CX bike frame is aluminum and the roadie is full carbon fibre. I've been riding the road bike for 2 years and recently added the CX bike to my collection. The biggest difference I've noticed so far is the brakes. The front brake on the CX bike is pretty grabby and causes various amounts of fork shudder, depending on braking intensity. I'm currently working through that issue - others in this forum have had lot's of advice to correct it. Different brake pads and possibly a beefier fork may work.

However, braking issue aside, I probably wouldn't ride the CX for very long road rides. For a century or double century ride, the aluminum frame would be too punishing. I rented an aluminum cannondale earlier this year in Hawaii for a few 65+ miles rides. There was a BIG difference between it and my road bike. The Al seemed harsh compared to the CF bike. Although some may not like to dampened feel of full CF - it sure saves on the back. I've got the CX bike primarily for a little off-road fun, camping with the kids, and an occasional cross race (which is a blast in the pants btw.)

A steel frame CX bike would probably be more comfortable than aluminum on your longer rides. My old steel road bike is pretty lively compared to the CF frame, but it also absords more road shock than an Al frame. So, it really depends on what kind of riding you want to do with it. Just my opinion FWIW.
hah, just saw the previous post - should also mention that how comfortable you are on any particular bike (i.e bike fit) will greatly affect your desire to ride it.