View Single Post
Old 07-31-04, 07:44 PM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dazza
I think that the way the bike is used, in relation to the intended purpose can have a serious effect on durability etc, regardless of cost.

For example, last year I purchased a $1300 Giant XtC, basically a midrange XC bike. The problem is, I don't just do XC, jumping, tricks, DH is also on the cards for this bike = a plethora of broken/seriously worn parts -

Seatpost
Stem
Rear shifter
Rear disc
Cassette
Rear hub

So next time I go to buy a new bike, I won't just be taking into account the bikes `reputation` of performance, but under what conditions it gained this rep.

Sure if I had stuck to pure XC most of the above parts would still be intact, but theres no fun in that
My bike was expensive sorta, to upgrade to near indestructable, But still, using an old frame that cost little, I was able to get the components I needed.
The only bikes with this kind of stuff are dh, freeride. A bit pricey for me. Also i wanted a xc 'style' of riding bike, still fast, not heavy.

The next bike I get will be built frame up also, 'cept new steel. I have 75% of the component already on the current Ritchey. Obviosly a labour intensive way, and a bit expensive..but I have EXACTLY the parts I like to ride, Like a 38t chainring for offroad 'cause I like flat speed.
Ritchey doesn't assemble bikes anymore, I understand why, you seriously just start removing stuff as soon as you get heavy on the bike.

Not everybody can go this route, It's saving me bucks in the end.
I currently run what 'rides' like $1000 for 500. The New bike will come in @ $1400 and then I will almost have 2 complete bikes.

Not even sure this really pertains to the question. You need to buy some expensive bits, and rarely are the provided on a factory ride.

Oh, and sorry about going off, I really dig Ritchey bikes, and Toms work in the sport. I get pretty hot about his work.

>jef.