Thread: Fixing freehubs
View Single Post
Old 11-01-07, 12:10 AM
Joshua A.C. New

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trying to get in there has resulted in swearing unusual both in volume and profanity.

As I was writing this, I decided to take another crack at it. Apparently, I hadn't tried just pulling the body. It made an almost sexual sound and slid apart. Sure enough, there are two broken pawls, a broken spring, and little bits of pawl shrapnel all over in there. Honestly, I don't understand how that spring works; it looks like it should hold the pawls in rather than out. But that doesn't matter because this:

How about just replacing the freehub body?
... is probably a good idea. It looks identical (except in greasiness) to the Bontrager example on the Park Tools repair site, though obviously I can't measure the one on that site.

Freehubs are pretty much alike; spring-loaded pawls engage a ratchet and bearing support the whole thing. It ain't rocket science.
... sez the rocket scientist.

The wheel's surprisingly straight and true. But Felt's website has equally surprisingly little info on their components. I've just resorted to emailing their trash basket. If it is, in fact, identical to the Bontrager example, where would I go about getting such a part? Am I correct that I'd have to order it locally?