Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I Helped a Tourist Today

I was driving from MS to LA today along Hwy 90. The area between the state line and New Orleans is comparatively desolate. The highway cuts a swath through the marsh, so it is very open. I rounded a bend and saw a cyclist pulling a bob sticking his thumb up as if hitchhiking when the vehicle ahead of me passed. I slowed and he held up his thumb. I stopped and asked if he needed anything. He said he was getting his butt kicked by the wind and was not going to make it to New Orleans by dark and in time to meet a friend. I had my truck mounted bike rack in the bed of the truck, so I loaded him up and took him to the outskirts of New Orleans. He told me he was traveling from New Jersey to Argentina and possibly points beyond. As I am new to touring, it was fascinating to chat with him and see how he was set up. His name is Andrew and his website is www.teacherontwowheels.com. His website is worth a visit and there are some good links too. The link to Warm Showers might be of particular interest to some.