Old 11-07-07, 10:41 AM
jbosh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for advice / opinions - It's old, but is it classic/vintage?

Looking for some opinions on my bike.

I'm new to road bikes - picked up a french made Motobecane Mirage Sport back in May. Bike shop said the frame was chromoly, probably made in the mid to late 70's. Bike weighs around 20 pounds, which seemed light at the time I bought it. Since then I've picked up some modern bikes and realize my bike is not so light.

The bikeshop that sold the bike turned out to be slightly shoddy - in addition to being unable to size the bike correctly - they had the seat at least 4 inches too low - the bottom bracket was bent and the brake calipers had practically no stopping power.

I originally paid 180 for the bike, and have spent an additional 300 on repairing the bottom bracket, replacing the brake calipers and levers, adding clipless pedals, as well as a thorough cleaning of the drive train components.

I realize at this point I would have been better off buying the entry level road bike at a reputable bike shop for around 700. Unfortunately that lesson has already been learned.

At this point I'm wondering - do I have a decent bike? Or should I abandon it and start saving for something else?

Currently on the bike:

1. Original frame, some scratches and chips in the paint. Not sure if I could find touch-up paint or not. Frame definitely looks like it's seem some use, but there are no cracks or rust.

2. Fork, Stem, Handlebars, Seatpost - unsure if these are original. They have some scratches, but they look functionable and not needing to be replaced.

3. Brakes - Had sidepull weinmann brakes, replaced with Shimano tiagra. Levers were also converted to aero style. Braking power increased significantly.

4. Wheels - rims are aluminum, stamped Weinmann. Probably original. Tubes/Tires were replaced at time of purchase. Tires are a cheap road tire - made in China. Any benefits in replacing these with a quality tire?

5. Derailers/Down Tube Shifters - Huret components. I replaced the cables. Should I expect these to last? Shifting seems pretty smooth. Internet research seems to indicate Huret made quality components.

Ultimately I would also like to know if this is a respectable bike. I can put 50 miles on it and it feels good. But when I take in to the bike shop I feel like I'm getting some grief over it.

Also - should I consider a professional fitting? I usually end up with some neck / back pain, as well as a sore butt towards the end of a long ride (30 - 50 miles).

Thanks for any thoughts / opinions!