twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Koffee Brown
Just wondering if it's worth it to bring my bike down there. I have a quickie 2 day trip coming up, and I was going to drag my Bike Friday down there. But from what my sister-in-law was saying, it's like a death trap trying to drive around there. I don't mind roads at all, but it did make me wonder if there's a way. Does anyone know that area well?

Koffee
I live in Manassas. There is a very nice multi-use trail along Prince William Parkway with good parking. It's not flat, and the intersections aren't all that numerous. You can get a decent 15 mile ride (out and back) starting at the intersection of Liberia Ave. and PW Parkway, going down to the McCourt building where the main county offices are. It goes further as well. The problem with Manassas is that most of the areas that would be nice to ride are bisected by major roads, and we're kind of a bedroom community for Washington.

There is also to W&OD trail a short drive away, you can pick it up at several points, and it's 45 miles of paved trail, much of it shaded. There's a good web site with maps and access points.

My wife and I rode a nice circuit route starting in Purcellville on Monday, a 35 mile route with some hills that I found challenging in a very rural area. Getting to Purcellville is about an hour from Manassas.

There's decent biking to be had. If I can be of any further help, PM me and I'll do what I can. I have a map that shows local trails and routes. We haven't explored them all, be glad to scan the local area and send you. I doubt I can keep up with you on my comfort bike, but if you want a riding partner for a ride I'd be honored to join you.