View Single Post
Old 11-11-07, 02:30 AM
Sportsman9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm gonna side with the OP on one point: if the bike shop said they would price match the other outfit, then refused to honor it when he showed up, that's just so wrong I can understand why it upset the guy so much.

On the other hand, I think it's reasonable for an LBS to charge more than a mail-order place. They should've given him an honest price, and then the OP has a choice of price versus convenience.

Some things I prefer to get at the shop (shoes for instance, so I could try them on). Now I'm not gonna turn around and buy them over the Internet because that would be all kinds of wrong. I balked a little at paying a $20 premium for a U-lock, but ultimately bought it at the shop as a reward for being able to hold various locks and feel their weight, plus I know bike shops have it tough and want to throw them some business.

The things I mostly end up buying over the web are things where the comparison shopping is much easier to do with the web interface, no sales pressure, or things where the selection is better than my LBS carries.