View Single Post
Old 11-11-07, 03:38 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brommie
Dear Bromptonauts and other riders of folders...

Today I fitted a Highpath (18/12 tooth sprockets) on my Brompton T6.
Chain wheel is 50 t.

maybe someone else did the same. Just curious.

A trip on my Brommie makes me smile...
Excellent ...

I remember the following thread on Brompton Talk

The combined 12/18 sprocket was supplied by Highpath Engineering (their website at http://www.highpath.net/cycles/index.html is very educational, but doesn't actually mention this 12/18 sprocket) and cost 39 pounds sterling.

I spent almost 2 days installing this sprocket set, filing the end of the
chainstay, testing and taking the rear wheel off and back on quite a few times, but eventually gave up getting a clean gear change. The chain would 'ride' on the top of the teeth 18T sprocket, and immediately jam between this and the end of the seat stay. This happened both when testing in my workshop, and when out riding.

However Chris Bell at Highpath Engineering has been very helpful on the phone,
and has offered to grind down the teeth on the 18T sprocket a bit, and I'll have one last try when he has done this. I have noticed that the standard 15T Brompton sprocket has some teeth which are shorter than the others, and I wonder if this is what Chris has in mind?

I'll let you know how I get on, but in the meantime, I'd be very interested to
hear from any others in this newsgroup who have successively installed this sprocket set!

I don't know whether Highpath produce 12/17 or 13/18 versions of the sprocket
set (or whether I'd have the patience to try them if I can't get the 12/18 to work!)

Did you run into issues installing the 12/18? Were there any non-standard procedures such as filing down a chainstay or sprocket teeth?