View Single Post
Old 08-06-04, 06:03 AM
Dave Moulton
ex frame builder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=khuon]Considering they have been building bikes with fat tyres and fat tubes for probably as long if not longer than you've been alive, then you must have always hated bikes. Most of us began our love of cycling on bikes with fat tyres... even before mountain bikes.

Reponse from Dave Moulton.

You raise an interesting point, fat tire bikes have been around for a long time in America. Not the rest of the world; this is an American thing. Fat tires are built into the American psyche like big cars. These huge SUVs built today are every bit as big and heavy as the cars of the 1950s or 1960s they’re just taller instead of longer. No one cares about fuel efficiency even though deep down they may think this is a good idea.

So the fact that fat tires make the bike harder to ride is neither here nor there; nobody cares; it’s what the people want. I really do not want to argue about this; I am no longer in the bike business so I have no axe to grind. We came over from Europe and tried to get you to ride our skinny tired bikes and we failed; just as the auto manufacturers failed to get people to drive small cars.

I have lived in this country for over twenty-five years now and love it; it’s why I’m still here. Part of what makes this the best country in the world is freedom to do whatever you want, but may I also remind you of another freedom. Freedom of speech; so be gentle with me; just because I think your MTBs are ugly, I’m not saying you shouldn’t ride ‘em.

Hey, what ever blows yer skirt up!