Old 11-14-07, 02:35 AM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clownbike
Just think, there's probably a guy just like you with air horns attached to something quite a bit larger and he will also laugh his ass off as you head off the road.

Of course, as a fellow traveler you will have a good laugh as well.
Yes - don't we love these people - you know - the ones that drive up right behind you and let off their horn just for fun?

Of course yamcha's kidding us again, like he was with his advice to pull out a glock and fire it in the air when passed by a pack of road racing riders.

I ride quite often on paths shared with pedestrians. I make a point of being considerate. My Merc has a bell, the pashley doesn't. As I approach a pedestrian who is walking in the same direction as I'm riding so he can't see me, I use the bell, cough, or speak to him. I invariably find a good reaction except where people are plugged into an MP3 player. It seems to me that far too many people are walking around even on quiet roads with one of their most important senses completely disconnected from the realities and dangers around them. On encountering these people, all you can do is slow down to a touch above walking pace and pass them as if you were a pedestrian yourself. In the end, we are not in competition with other human powered travelers are we? I find that if I am polite, I am almost invariably treated with politeness. Yamcha should try this and leave his glock, his revealing cycling shorts, and his bullhorns at home.