Old 11-14-07, 06:28 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I don't use a cover, it's kind of pointless. Any touring bike worth its salt should be able to handle some rain and/or dew. If I used a leather saddle I'd cover it, that's about it.

Originally Posted by joseph senger
ive thought of the cover as well, just for the desire of theft deterrence....
Uh, yeah. A cover isn't going to stop a thief.

Originally Posted by joseph senger
something i saw on lonely planet that the fellow was using to give warning of polar bears, all it is is a trip rope that is attached to a flair like explosive that apparently doesn't need anything but a pull of the string to go off. It is LOUD, and would give you time to grab your spray or whatever you carry, while the animal or thief is disoriented
You're joking, right? You're going to guard your stealth campsite with a loud exploding flare...?

An animal could easily set off a trip wire, which will a) wake you up pointlessly and b) potentially notify the property owner, ranger, cop etc that someone's sleeping in their woods.

Isn't the whole point of "stealth camping" that no one knows you're there in the first place? I mean, really, it's not like bike thieves comb the countryside looking for Feral Bicycles. You'd have to be a pretty sucky burglar to target a smelly cycle tourist who can't even afford a campsite rather than the nice big house down the street.