View Single Post
Old 11-14-07, 06:47 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joshua A.C. New
I'm not worried about resale value. I got the frame for $40, shipping included, on Ebay.

That said, lengthening the axle seems pretty trivial by comparison. A nut or two from the hardware store should get that all up ons.

So, a follow-up question: is this a 135mm axle, or a 135mm OLD axle? Should I be adding, I dunno, 10mm to the OLD to get the total axle length?
I figure dropouts to be on the average 5mm thick. So add 10mm to 135mm would be too much. Let's say 142-143mm.

Edit: Here's what Sheldon says:Axle Length
Typical quick-release axles are 11 or 12 mm longer than the spacing of the hub locknuts. This gives 5.5-6 mm of axle protrusion on each side. You don't actually need nearly this much, so for respacing hubs to wider spacing, if you're not adding more than, say, 5-6 mm of spacers, you don't need a new axle. As long as you have 2 or 3 mm sticking out on each side, that's plenty.

Silly me for trying. Sheldon is da man. Does that answer your question?

Last edited by kenhill3; 11-14-07 at 06:55 PM.