Old 11-15-07, 03:47 PM
Al Criner

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check Frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sonatageek View Post
Can someone tell me if the Signature 290s models have stamped or forged dropouts? There is one for sale locally and am debating about driving out to see it or not.
To all of you looking at old Ross bikes (or any 70s-80s bikes) the Vintage Trek website (www.vintage-trek.com) has good info on old Shimano, SR-Sakae, Maillard, Sugino, etc. parts to help date it, if that matters to you.

One thing to note - on my '85 Gran Tour I have clearly dated parts that were manufactured from early 1982 to late 1984. If you feel a need to date an old Ross you need to date multiple parts, not just the first one you notice. It looks like they sort of swept out the warehouse to build some of the bikes - just an interesting note.

The old parts are solid, though. I just completed overhauling all the bearings (Maillard hubs, unknown headset, Campagnolo-style alloy touring pedals (I don't know the brand), plus I had a new Shimano UN-54 cartridge-bearing bottom bracket installed, just because that cost no more than overhauling the old one. It rides really smooth and the derailleurs shift very nicely. The rear derailleur is marked "RD 501" - this snaps through shifts like it was brand new. In my case the bike has very low miles on it so it has very little wear and with basic maintenance it is a pretty nice ride.