Old 11-16-07, 03:09 PM
EbikeHawaii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Saltydawg
I don't have 50 grand...

I just need a conversion kit to add an electric motor to a regular bike, and you seem to have the the best motors around.

Why not sell them? I need 1 right now, and 4 more in a couple months. You could probably make a good living out of this. This market is going to take off soon. I wish I had the 50 grand to buy your shop with instructions. You're sitting on a potential gold mine.

Oh, and why the heck are e-bikes illegal in Hawaii? You should be emailing all the state reps, the news, all the activists, etc on that one...

Anyway, seriously, think about selling me a conversion kit. I can put it on the bike myself...
It's Political as usual.

"Aloha Randy
Thank you for your letter spelling out what happened when the Leg caved into the Segway people and how it has set back advancements in
alternative transportation. This year I will introduce a bill to repeal
HB 843 (2003 SLH)and to restore the law the way it was. I feel this law was the result of a very questionable relationship set-up between Segway and government. Thankfully the House has changed quite dramatically since those days and I am hopeful that my new colleagues will support doing away with this blatant protectionist Segway law. If you have any language or other information that may have that I could submit to our drafting agencies that would be very helpful. Hopefully I can get support of the others you e-mailed as lobbying will be very important in getting this to happen.
Sincerely, Angus
Representative Angus L. K. McKelvey
10th District West Maui, Maalaea, North Kihei
State Capitol, 415 S. Beretania Street, Room #315
Phone: (808) 586-6160 * Toll free (984) 2400- 66160 * Fax (984)
2400-66161

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 7:44 PM
To: Rep. Joseph Souki; Rep. Joe Bertram III; Rep. Angus McKelvey
Cc: mayors.office@mauicounty.gov; director@maui-tomorrow.org;
danny.mateo@mauicounty.us; riki.hokama@mauicounty.us;
michelle.anderson@mauicounty.us; michael.victorino@mauicounty.us;
michael.molina@mauicounty.us; joseph.pontanilla@mauicounty.us;
jo_anne.johnson@mauicounty.us; gladys.baisa@mauicounty.us;
bill.medeiros@mauicounty.us
Subject: Fw: Re: Legalize elecrtic bicycles

----- Original Message -----
To: <solarcraft
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 10:04 AM
Subject: Fwd: Re: Legalize elecrtic bicycles

Aloha Randy>
This acknowledges the receipt of your email. However, we are unable to provide any comments. The Division of Motor Vehicles and Licensing functions to execute laws that are Legislated. We recommend that you contact your Legislative Representatives.

DMVL management "Randy 9/15/2007 11:47 AM >>>
To whom it may concern, At least write me back stating your views.
As far as transportation is concerned.Helping in any way to relieve automobile congestion should be considered and NOT be thrown into the trash. A recent change in the "motorized bicycle" and bicycle laws now make electric bicycles illegal in Hawaii. Until I believe 2002 Maui
and Hawaii had a great law in place that included a electric bike or motorized bicycle to be registered as a bicycle and included in the definition.Now all of Hawaii and New York are the only places in our nation that electric bikes are illegal.Most people have probably never heard of electric bikes.With modern technology a 20 lb bicycle can fitted with a 5 lb electric motor along with a 7 lb battery pack in the frame that make up the light weight 32 lb Bike. These electric bicycles can go at bicycle speeds for 20 miles without pedaling or go for 30 miles with pedaling if you want to work
up a little sweat for a work out to increase the range. For each
additional 7 lb battery just add on another 20 miles of no pedaling range or a range of 25 to 30 miles with light to moderate pedaling. In most countries around the globe millions of electric bikes are sold and used for affordable and efficient transportation. If you want to
see legal Ebikes I made that went up Haleakala when they were legal or see electric bikes for rent or sale in the "Ripcurrent Cyclery" store
across the street from Longs Drugs in Kahului (or other underground electric bike dealers in Hawaii. Dealers that probably have no idea that
electric bikes are illegal in Hawaii since President Bush signed a low speed vehicle law and description as a consumer product (being a electric bike) in 2002 These examples as well as 1000s of more types of electric bicycles that exist to allow clean transportation without toxic admissions by using the sun and wind as the source of power. Batteries can easily be charged in any home or office socket or by a small solar panel or wind turbine at home.How many cars could be eliminated off the roads and hotel parking lots if employees had electric bikes to go to work at lets say to Kaanapali from Lahaina or Napili and back ? Not to mention the savings at 20 cents a charge for
a 1 hour 20 mile round trip. The bottom line is lets get these worlds most efficient machines on
out on our unused bike lanes and provide a alternate to myself or anyone that otherwise has to drive there gas guzzling Ford needlessly. One of these agencies must be able to find the pre existing 2002 "motorized bicycle" law.What happened to this one ? It appears the
older law and amended proposal was omitted and replaced with this law.
"Bicycle" means every vehicle propelled solely by human power upon
which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels, and including any vehicle generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two rear wheels except a toy bicycle. Since this revision (below)above took place after Segway transporters were lobbing every state in the USA to become legal and the below.
BILL FOR AN ACT appears to be a Amendment Bill after the fact that "motorized bicycles" were eliminated from the description of bicycle and Segway electric transporters were added on in a new classification and eliminating all electric bicycles and other electric vehicles that could be used as island wide transportation in the bikeways.Of course at a slower pace than a car but a much more affordable and cleaner concept especially when auto traffic is gridlock and you only need to go a few miles without sweating or sweating about getting to work or home on time..
"Motorized bicycle" means a device with two tandem wheels that is
propelled both by human power and by an internal combustion engine or a battery powered motor. If battery powered, it has a maximum of one thousand five hundred watts (two horsepower); if powered by an engine it has no more than two horsepower (fifty cubic centimeters), an
automatic transmission, and a maximum design speed of not more than twenty-five miles per hour on a flat surface unassisted by human power.Amends the statewide traffic code by defining and regulating the
operation of motorized person transporter platforms, motorized
bicycles, and electronic personal assistive mobility devices.
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES H.B. NO. 834
TWENTY-SECOND LEGISLATURE, 2003
STATE OF HAWAII

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A BILL FOR AN ACT

This is what the pre 2002 electric law was close to and would it would
be excepted to get Ebikes back on the road LEGALLY for EVERYONE'S benefit.

Please Get this revision or the preexisting electric bike law back IN
this next up coming legislative session .
Setting a precedence in positive use of electric bicycles will createa
diversified economy and a way for residents and visitors to get around
without wasting gas or money. There is a lot that can done in terms of affordable transportation and eco tourism without road modifying if
Ebikes were legal in Hawaii.
Aloha, Randy Draper
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...86533935376595

This is where the real fun is at... But the ebike can get me there in a few minutes to check it out. You may even find Laird out at "The Bay" on a small day. If your lucky his wife Gabrielle Reece will be watching and gabbing to you.LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2vkwy2vdP4
http://www.sports-wired.com/women/Gabrielle_Reece.html
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...74609955831313

Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 11-16-07 at 03:51 PM.