Old 11-19-07, 12:30 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cmh
My legs feel the most sore following a hard workout two days after that ride and into the 3rd day if the workout is particularly long. So my best taper is to put in some intensity but less than 1 1/2 hour long ride 3 days before an event, completely off 2 days before, than a 1 hour ride with a few sprint efforts and 1 or 2, 5 min. efforts around LT the day before. Like many posts on BF, this is based on a study with n = 1, but it works for me.

Good luck at your TT on Dec 4th - let us know how it goes.
Thanks cmh, I was looking back in my training records where I had a particularly incredible TT, and I was surprised to discover that my total mileage for the three days leading up to the event was only 25 paltry miles, but the formula worked! These days, my rest day is never less than 35 miles! I have to get it into my thick skull, that by the time you get to the last week, the work is done and one can probably only hurt rather than enhance performance by training hard.