View Single Post
Old 11-20-07, 09:04 AM
spinninwheels
aspiring island dweller

Bikes: Easy Racers GRR, Cannondale T-2000/Rohloff Custom, Cannondale R-700, Custom Fixie/Single Speed, Santa Cruz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph senger
i will email him.

The one thing urging me, at least in the the meantime to stick with a traditional drivetrain, is the fact i have an xtr groupo sitting here with raceface prodigy xc cranks. That said the rear cassette and middle and large chainring need replacement, as well the chain. Also, i have found out for myself that i do often double shift while on an incline, thats why the half step theory made sense for me. I also, never was using my 48 sprocket while in anything smaller than a 20 cog...so?

is the rohloff cartridge bearinged?

thanks
barrett
Barrett

My T2000 originally came with an XTR cassette, and I would replace it with an XTR because it was the only cassette I could find [at the time] with 11-34 gearing. And the 34 being the most important part of that gearing equation, because of the touring that I do.

Anyway, current exchange rates aside, I was paying upwards of $300 per cassette. Eventually, I was able to acquire an XT in that gearing for around $100. That eased the pain for a while and delayed the Rohloff, if only for a while.

For me, it was simply doing the math. At a certain point, the Rohloff was going to save me money. And that's not including the pain of adjusting the index shifting.

Rohloff hubs are sealed units, so the bearings are not exposed to the elements like a typical hub.

Dave