Old 11-24-07, 09:46 AM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm with Dannyg1 100% regarding the complexity of evaluating different brakes. It seems impossible to ever reach a truly objective comparison, so a seemingly simple question like this is really asking for trouble. _ For example, I could discuss the flawless performance of my personal, meticulously set up, Mafac center-pulls, which never even squeak... and then wait for the flurry of 100 posts from people telling me I'm simply WRONG, ... or that I just must be lying to them. _ Dannyg1's evaluation of his different brakes is definitely the most reasonable and balanced comparison of brakes I have seen presented so far... EVER !.

I think for any objective evaluation of even NOS brakes of any age, you would really need to level the playing field by installing the exact same brake pads on each brakeset being compared, and probably also use the same brake levers, too... uh... and then also mount them on the same bikes and use the same rims, in comparable condition, toss on new identical cables and housings... and also ride in the same road and weather conditions.

I have to say this because I continually hear from different people how their experiences of the exact same brakes are totally the opposite. Sometimes this is because one is experiencing an old abused neglected brakeset with terrible 30 year old worn-down glazed-over pads with rusted cables and broken housings who assumes these brakes always sucked, while another is using flawless new brakes of the same model. But, there are really so many variables to consider, I find it hard to believe either extreme coming from any other rider.

And, there are always the "apologists"... (typically for early Campy Record brakes) who cannot accept that there could possibly have been superior brakes from anyone, let alone cheaper ones... So, yet another subjective issue to throw into the overall "perception" of how great a set of brakes is. Ultimately, maybe it would also require completely masked brakes or a blindfolded rider to get untainted opinions on brake performance. And, better use several riders to reach an overall consensus - like some auto magazines do for evaluating a group of cars being compared.

Then there is also the consideration of longevity or continued superior performance, since a set of brakes can also degrade rapidly, if poorly designed. The truly beautiful early Campy Record "Delta" (semi-center-pull) brakes comes to mind, since there were always issues because of the maintenance required and the need to keep the complex mechanisms very clean and well lubricated.

When we get into comparing modern dual-pivot brakes with the "Power Brakes" feel versus the harder pull on older single-pivot style side-pull brakes, this REALLY polarizes peoples perceptions. In fact, if you want to see the mechanics at your LBS slit their wrists in despair, this is always a fun subject to raise.

It's all so complicated it simply boggles the mind. Danny, thanks for sharing your very well considered findings - and also for cautioning everyone on how difficult it would be to achieve true performane objectivity. _ Your evaluations are actually MUCH more meaningful... to me, at least. -- BRAVO!

Bob
Likes For stronglight: