Old 08-11-04, 08:21 AM
bboseley

Bikes: Trek 5500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is getting Serious. HELP

I am in need of some serious advice from those in the know. After 20 plus years off a bike, I decided to get into it for both fitness and fun. A little research led me to the Trek brand as well as a few other quality items. I won’t name the dealer in the Orlando area – however, I had pretty much decided that I wanted a 7300FX. (This was about 3 weeks ago) Well, no 2004 bikes in stock at this or their other stores. How long for a 2005? OH, at least 2 months. As is human nature, I wanted a bike – NOW. The only thing they had “in my size”, was a Trek 1000. OK. left a deposit and picked up the bike a week later.

Too make this as short as possible, they put me on a bike at about two sizes too large. They made no attempt to adjust anything, and I later found 40lbs of air in each tire. Two wrecks later, someone told me about a Trek concept store. I took the 1000 in and the owner was incredulous that someone had put me on that Bike. (He not only realized what a poor fit it was, but was pretty adamant that the 1000 is one of Trek’s few “mistakes”. In fact the 2005 version makes many changes to upgrade the bike.

Because he could offer me virtually nothing in trade, he spent close to two hours making as many adjustments as he could. I already had grown to hate the toe clips so I also had him install a set of clipless pedals. (I had shoes, which had the cutout, so clips could be installed). As I write this, blood is streaming down my legs from trying to use the “clipless” pedals.

Should I just continue to loose blood in the hope that “I’ll get the hang of it” – or bite a large bullet and get a 2005 7300FX? Of course I’ll never the hang of a too large bike!!!! Another option, since I really do like the road bike style, is to get a new. improved 1000 that fits. What would those of you who have (no pun intended) been around the block do? Hurry, I’m tire of making up excuses for the condition of my knees.

PS Not only are the 05’s NOT two months out – I can get virtually any model in less than a week. Also, I know some will say go back to the first store and raise hell – but regardless of what they may do – I simply don’t trust them.