Old 11-26-07, 05:49 AM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I almost drove to work today

It’s been a good month. The last time I pumped gas into my Tacoma was sometime
in October @$2.89/Gal. I had the snow tires put on and the oil changed in mid November
At the same time we did my wife’s Camry. I try to change the oil on our vehicles
every 3000 miles and I just turned the 3000 mile mark on the pickup as I drove it
into the lot at the shop. That’s only 3000 miles since April. I guess the point I’m driving at here
is I don’t drive all that much anymore. I’ve managed to ride the Trek into work
every day this month, so far. Well this morning I overslept by about ten minutes. I’m
amazed I didn’t sleep longer but that’s a whole other long boring story. My first sense
was one of guilt for needing to drive to work instead of pedaling in, but the more I
though about it while stumbling around in the dark trying to get dressed without
waking up the bride, the more resolved I became to taking the Trek anyway. The
Tacoma is way back in the driveway behind the Camry and the old Caprice that my
daughter is using for a couple of days. I guess you know you’re hooked on commuting
when it seems easier to bike five and a half miles than it is to move two cars out of the
way and then put them back again. Anyway, I rode the Trek, arrived at work on time and
had a most pleasant ride in. It was almost 40 degrees F with little to no wind. The roads
were wet but the rain had temporarily stopped and didn’t restart until I was snuggly at
work. I think I saw two cars on the way in. Now, if I can just make it through December….