View Single Post
Old 08-12-04, 02:01 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well one of the things about climbing hills is diagnosing them. That is you look at the hill and decide what you have and use what strength, power and endurance you have as efficiently as you can to get up the hill. Around here, people seem to attack hills and on longer ones (not that many), they run out of gas near the top and slow way down. Had they gone up at a slightly lower speed, they would have been able to maintain it all the way up.

I took a friend out on a ride. We came to a hill that he had never climbed. I climbed to the top and stopped to see how he was doing. He almost made it to the top and gave up. The thing was he gave up where the hill "broke", that is the hill got less steep. It is hard to notice the fall off when you are climbing it but if you make it to that point, you can get to the top if you just keep going. I mentioned that one and also suggested he get a cluster with some bigger cogs on it (lower gears). The next time we did that hill, he climbed it with no problem.

Another thing you might think of is lower gears.

Of course, what the other people are saying that climbing hills is the best way to get better is true. But I assume that you have this one hill on your commute and you just need to figure out how to climb it with what you have.