Old 11-27-07, 06:37 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by borderline
Thanks for the info. It is usually hard to gauge what it would be like cycling from the perspective of a car because you normally take such different routes.

Originally I was thinking it would be better to live in the southern end (less dense) but it sounds like it is better closer to SF (probably more expensive too)...
It's hard to get a feel for all the different communities and options in a short visit.

Towns and neighborhoods vary tremendously.

Which ones are best for a particular person depends on so many individual factors and variations that I cannot really zero in very well.

The area around Stanford is good if you like the benefits that come with being near a world-class university.

In general, the areas closer to the bay (like East Palo Alto) are lower-income.

The areas up into the beginning of the hills (parts of Woodside, Saratoga, Los Gatos, and other towns) tend to be much higher income.

The areas way up into the hills, or over on the other side of Skyline are much more rural -- horses and acreage....

Portola Valley appeals to some people. If you have the money, it might at least be worth a look.

Los Altos and Los Altos Hills are family-friendly, relatively quiet towns.

Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Cupertino have their own flavors -- many neighborhoods are at neither extreme of income level.

Sorry I can't be of more help; I suppose it's a matter of taking one's individual situation and preferences into account, and just doing more research.

I have noticed that the housing office at Stanford has interesting descriptions of surrounding communities -- they are trying to be helpful to students, and trying to give them a sense of what these communities are like. Foothill College may have something similar. The housing offices of these and other schools might be of some help (De Anza is one in the Cupertino area). Real estate agents can sometimes give you a better sense of the different communities. The finer points are very subjective, though, and a lot depends on the immediate neighborhood and human environment, and your relations with them.

You mention density. The areas up toward the hills will have more open space -- basically all along the peninsula (until you get up near Daly City and SF). There are some great rides in the hills above Stanford.

(Parts of Alviso are unusual. It would take an unusual personality to prefer them, but some few people would appreciate what they have to offer.)

Last edited by Niles H.; 11-28-07 at 02:39 PM.