Old 11-30-07, 03:07 AM
thirdin77

Bikes: 09 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
San Jose's governing body seems to make a token effort under the presumption of reducing congestion and pollution- forging a "green" city. It is indeed only a token effort, though. The bike lanes in South San Jose look like an afterthought in that they're basically incorporated into shoulders where people can't park anyway or, if they aren't on shoulders, they're adjacent to cars parked on shoulders, i.e. right in the door zone. I think said bike lanes were incorporated by traffic engineers who have never even ridden on the street- or thought of doing so- and whose perception of cycling is something that is done on MUP's.

The "green vision" that our city's planners have seem to be to encourage pedestrian traffic by narrowing roadways and expanding sidewalks but I think such will be to the detriment of cyclists as we will lose the shoulders and other road width which make cycling comfortably possible. Again, the city planners' perception of cycling seems to be something that you do on a MUP- after you've driven your bike to the MUP parking lot.