Old 08-14-04, 07:08 AM
sydney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PeaceGrabber
After a extensive research day and night, I finally understand. I am used to Photography but know nothing about bicycles. I do not want to make a wrong decision on purchase a new or used road bike.
Many people think digital cameras are good, I know this is not true because films still have the place to stay. I thought most new Alu bikes (like digital CCD or CMOS chip) are better than steel (film) since steel is an old technology. WRONG!

Now, I know a good Reynolds 853 bike weight for about 18 to 19 lbs. Whereas, some alu bikes could weight about 22 lbs. Then I ask myself: Does that mean a vintage steel bike is better than a new alu bike? The answer is yes and no. Vintage steel bikes are heavy and the quality are not the same as Reynolds 853 tubing. Although an old vintage bike is on the heavy side, it still gives a more comfort ride than alu in most cases.

What about Carbon Fiber and Ti? Well, I also did some research on those materials. A complete Carbon Fiber bike gives the same comfort ride as to Reynolds 853 but I need to pay a double price due to CF usually weight 3 to 4 lbs less than Reynolds 853 bicycle. Therefore, it is not the best price to pay for what I am getting. Another issue with CF is they tend to fail in a rapid process but the steel still can ride for another few months. At last, steel is easy to fix and weld. Ti is also another expensive material and it is even rare than Reynolds 853 bicycles. Titanium is still not a popular choice for cyclists.

In my previous posting, I said that I want a new bike for around Cdn$1000. Well, I think that I should look hard and find myself a decent used road bike with Reynolds 853 frame. I am in the stage to collect a listing of brand with Reynolds 853 frame and I got few here and I need your help to add few more. Then all I need is money and PATIENCE (Getting a right frame size is hard in used market and I am looking the size of 51cm to 53cm seat tube frame).

Here are the list:

Schwinn Peloton
KHS Flite 800
Trek 520
Lemond Bicycles
There is nothing magic about 853,and some of the cheaper configurations are next to worthless with respect to weight saving,and offer nothing but the fancy label. Scratch the Trek 520.It's just plain old cromo..