Old 12-09-07, 12:37 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Stupidest mistake, not sure about dorky, just stupid! I had a worn tire on the rear of my roadie. Was planing to do a ride thru Chino Hills and return thru Carbon Canyon. LBS was out of Conti's so I figured one more day, one more ride wouldn't hurt.

Returning thru the north side of Carbon Canyon I hit the tight switchbacks at about 30 mph while catching up to a few cars. On the sharpest turn my rear tire blew. Maybe cause it was a very hot day and the pavement was nice shiny black with new tar. I fishtailed several times but managed to keep upright with some help from a pedal whack of my achilles. I made my way over the line and into oncoming traffic. Great, going headon with a Chevy Tahoe. I aimed towards the hillside figuring it would hurt less to dive over the side than hit a truck. Driver managed to make a safe stop while I headed towards the edge but somehow found myself regaining control. CLOSE ONE!

I found myslef standing in the middle of the road with a tacoed rear wheel. I carried my bike to the side. A couple of the drivers asked if I was ok, yup, sure. Not sure if they could see my knees shaking. I swear I was this far from whizzing my bike shorts!

Last time I was stupid enough to do some fast dowhill descending with a worn tire!