View Single Post
Old 12-09-07, 07:24 AM
BSLeVan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
There are TWO threads here about fall from "stationary" bikes.
I have questions:

1. If you fall off it and drag it to the floor, is it correct to still refer to said bike as stationary?
Yes, this would still be the correct term. That is, assuming the said fall didn't occur on a hill, afterwhich the rider, bike and trainer slide 200 yards downhill.

2. Is it really that much harder to ride while not actually going anywhere than I was previously aware of?
Beyond a shadow of a doubt this is the hardest riding you'll ever experience. Think about it, when was the last time you heard a pro rider sing the praises of his or her trainer. No, given the choice, even the pros would rather to TTs, sprints, and mountain pass climbs. Just thinking about riding a trainer seperates the serious "hard-core" riders from the casual riders.

3. Considering the dangers involved, how bad would it be for me to wear a helmet when riding one?
For some of us, it's a good idea to wear a helmet when engaged in any physical activity. However, due to the stationary nature of the activity, you'll have no wind to help keep your body temperature in check. So, you need to mount a small battery powered fan on top of the helmet to keep you cool.

4. Should I rack up a few thousand more road miles before I consider taking on a stationary bike?
That would be my recommendation. And even then, I'd encourage you to hire a professional coach to make sure you're doing it correctly. It's important to remember that a trainer is not a toy. It's a serious bit of training equipment only used by the most skilled and dedicated riders.