View Single Post
Old 12-09-07, 09:28 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
You speak truth, BluesDawg. I had a friend who was a runner and used to make fun of my riding. She's say, I just can get a good enough workout by cycling. I'd tell her to ride harder, but she response was always that it wasn't possible to ride hard enough to get the same level of fitness. That is, she used to say that until I finally got her out on a "ride of truth" with me. She, almost completely without breath, panted at a red light about 12 miles into the ride, "OK, OK, I'm wrong. Could you ease up just a bit?" And, we hadn't got to the serious part of the ride yet.

Stafam, you are officially hardcore in my book. I admire your grit! I also know some of the joy of riding when most are inside. It kind of makes one feel special.
Problem with me on the road is that just going along a flat road is boring. I need a challenge to get the HR up. On the flat- I get up to around 135- about 80% of my max- and I can't see any sense in pushing harder as I will be out for a 50/60 mile ride. Give me a hill though and I will ride it at 150 (90% of Max) and even exceed my max on occasions. On an MTB you have no choice- It is a hill and I ride it at 145to 150. Then you get to the steep bit- or the muddy bit or where extra speed is necessary and I am up to 160 without thinking about it. I suppose it is what you are used to but Mountain Biking will give you a workout. If you don't want to walk those 15% hills- then you have to put the effort in. On the road- 20 mph is fast enough to be bored with- but I will still be riding in 60 miles time.

Spike Milligan