View Single Post
Old 08-18-04, 04:00 AM
oxologic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dane
Heres, the catch. As an object, such as a human body, increases in volume, it has a much less significant increase in surface area. You can add a significant amount of muscle without greatly increasing your surface area, which means that you can make significant increases in power without signifantly increasing air resistance. This means that skinny guys who may be able to power up a climb will be blowing like a leaf (relatively speaking) fighting a headwind while trying to cruise fast on flat ground, because they have a similar surface area as a larger more muscular rider, but less power output.

So to sum it up, speed on climbs depends on a power to weight ratio, while speed on the flats is dependent on a power to surface area ratio. Maybe this will help to give you some insight on how different body types perform differently under varying conditions, and how the stresses on your body change as well.
So now I see the size and surface area thingy. A bigger guy does not really have any significant increase in surface area.

What about the muscles involved? Are they all the same, or does the incline uphill causes some hidden muscles to be developed and thus build great climbers? Otherwise, could it be that climbing uphill requires a huge force created on the downstroke than on the flats? It seems that since it is inclined, your downstroke is longer than when it's flat? Is that true? Come on man, keep this thread going, I'm sure to discover many things that I would like to know, and maybe others will want to know too