View Single Post
Old 12-12-07, 10:20 AM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
If roads aren't designed for bikes, they're not designed for motos either.
I'd like to agree with that except I really don't think it is true. If a county wanted to I'm sure they could make their roads nearly impassable by bicycle but not hinder motorcycles or cars much if any. Hey ride down a chip and seal road and you can see that expiriment in progress

This winter is being pretty harsh on the roads in my commute. Alot of the expansion joints are completely opening and from one road section to the next and verticle gaps of one inch or more are appearing. Last week I almost fell right into what the weather had done to where they added in a sewer drain. The gaps was over 2 inches wide in my direction of travel where prior to that the two pieces of concrete were snug right up to eachother. And no I wasn't riding in the gutter they replaced a partial section of concrete to put it in so it's about 3-4' in the lane.
For a car or motorcycle they can ride over all that without noticing or just feeling a little bump however they could be pretty dangerous for a bicycle to hit at speed.