Old 12-17-07, 09:33 AM
matthew_deaner

Bikes: Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grolby
Fenders help a LOT with all of these problems. My somewhat-expensive commuter (Surly LHT) has made it through one winter, and we're starting another that promises to be extremely snowy (and, therefore, salty as well). The most affected part of the bike is definitely the drivetrain. Good fenders with mudflaps cause most of the grime to get no higher than the rear wheel, chainstays and bottom bracket shell. I've got a leather saddle, but fenders cause me to be sublimely unconcerned - no road slush has a chance of making it past the fender and platform-top rear rack. When things start to get really messy, I'll give the bike a gentle cleaning with a damp rag and then dry it off. The chain needs to be lubed continuously, but that's not a big deal.

There's no need to go cheap or use a disposable bike - what a wasteful idea! - in the winter. Proper equipment and care will keep even a nice bike in good condition. That's not to say that it's a bad idea to have a dedicated winter bike, but even if it's a cheap one (I have a singlespeed beater myself), there is every reason to try and preserve it. It doesn't cost as much to maintain a winter bike as it does to replace one.
+1 Same situation for me. I have a LHT with full fenders and a front mudflap. The bike stays relatively clean in wet/salty conditions. The drivetrain gets dirty and requires more maintenance, and I wash the bike a lot more in the winter, but it's holding up fine.