Old 12-17-07, 01:17 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdin77
Right now I've got one of these.

I then got a road bike and was quickly spoiled by having skinny, high-pressure tires, closer-spaced gearing and, of course, drop handlebars. I stopped riding the Muirwoods.

The road bike I've got, though, a bike with a carbon fork/105 gruppo/ritchey parts is one that I don't want to leave locked up for very long and/or out of sight. Further, I want something that will easily mount a rack- probably something with cantilever brakes- and with room for fenders as well.

The rack and fenders part of the consideration actually describes the Muirwoods.

So, I was thinking about adding the following to the Muirwoods:
26" 100psi+ slick tires- not sure which ones yet; this is a make-or-break consideration
44cm road handlebars
sora ST-3304 shifters for triple crankset/8-speed cassette
sora 13-26 8-speed casette

Again the biggest question is if or not I can find a high-pressure 26" tire, meaning at least 100psi. I've got 80psi tires on it now and there's more rolling resistance than I would like.

Some questions that remain are whether the Sora cassette will mate to my ATB rear wheel, as well as if it will work with my Alivio rear derailleur which itself is made for 7 or 8-speed ATB cassettes. If the Alivio rear derailleur won't work I could go to a Tiagra 8-speed derailleur.

I should note that I could get the shifters, cassette, rear derailleur and handlebars at a pretty good discount.

The whole reason I'm even considering doing the above is because I've already paid for the Muirwoods and it's still pretty much new. The condition and longevity of its parts aren't really in question. Further, I don't think it would be too attractive to thieves with the low-grade parts I have in mind.

A reason not to bother is because I could just buy an older touring bike that would couple the features of my road bike (skinny tires/close-ratio gearing/drop handlebars) with those of my Muirwoods (easy rack & fender compatibility).

Any thoughs are welcome.
I'd council against doing too much to the Marin. It's a $400 bike to begin with. You can easily spend $400 on upgrades to have a $400 that's worth $800. A brand new LHT complete cost in the range of $900 and you'd have a better all around bike.

Some things to think about if you go the upgrade route:

You'll need new brakes or at least Travel agents to make the linear brakes work. If you went with bar end shifters instead of STI, you could get Diacomp V-brake road levers. But that's not necessarily a cheaper way to go. Cost in the end would probably be about the same.

Bar end shifters will work with the C100 front derailer the bike currently has. STI probably won't. Front derailers are cheap but it's still more money to spend.

In looking at the costs of upgrading, don't forget the little things. You'll need bar tape and new cables. Not expensive but not free either.

You might need a new stem to accommodate the road bars.

Look at the costs of the upgrades, figure in 6 to 10% more for shipping and/or taxes, figure in an additional 5 to 10% for the stuff you found out you need but didn't have. Then really think about what kind of bike you'll end up with compared to new one.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I just trying to get you to think realistically about the bike.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!