View Single Post
Old 12-18-07, 01:26 PM
Rio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, that helps.

When playing around with the single speed idea, I tried sticking to various single gears and decided that I probably didn't want a single speed -- even though I love the idea. There is almost nowhere I go that doesn't involve a mix of very steep hills (some of them long as well) and flats.

I have the idea that an 8-speed will be lower maintenance (and lighter) than a 24-speed, for example. That the right 8 speeds will be perfectly adequate for my riding conditions. Is that right? Are there other considerations?

How do I decide how much to spend on each component? I want it to be durable and fun to ride. But I have no need to throw money away.

How do I know which brand and make of cassette is a good buy and appropriate for what I want to do? The same questions apply to each of the other components that I need: front wheel, rear wheel, etc? How do I know whether each of these components will work with everything else and fit this particular frame?

The Shimano brake and shifter cables don't show any wear but do have a little rust on them. The shifters say Shimano 515 sp, I don't see anything on the brakes except the brand name. I don't know whether these are the originals or not. Should I upgrade/replace them while I'm at it? Keep them? How do I tell?

The front cogs don't seem to have a lot of wear. The teeth seem even. When I spin the bottom bracket (?) by turning the crank it spins easily but stops fairly quickly. Replace or just clean?

Lots and lots of questions. Any help in clearing up any of the many blank spots on my project map is appreciated.

p.s. To say "I used an "an"", is correct. To say "I used a "a"" is incorrect; "an" should precede "a" in that case.