Thread: tikit on trial
View Single Post
Old 12-19-07, 11:26 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
Yeah, but my point was, if you aren't going to maneuver the bike (for example, by leaving it at the door), then what difference does it make how it maneuvers? I personally could get a lot of use out of a very maneuverable 16"-20" folder, but I wonder: If Lynette doesn't find the Tikit maneuverable enough to keep it by her side then will I?
Well I can't speak for her, but basically I'm not going to carry or move anything more than I have to. What that means in a given situation depends on a lot of factors. I was in a local outdoors store with my Tikit recently. I rolled it in to the cycling dept and put it down out of the way then shopped for a bit. I grabbed it and rolled it to where they sold headlamps and put it down while I browsed. I carried it up to the second floor so I could shop in the kids' section..etc... Rolling it is no big deal OTOH I'm not going to push a 25lbs bike around if I don't have to.

You have a Tikit, don't you vik? How do you find it?
You mean the rolling functionality? Well it is the best method for rolling a folded bike that I've seen or tried - keeping mind my entire folder experience is a Dahon Speed D7, a Tikit and two Bromptons. You can move the bike around easily for long distances. OTOH you are moving a 25lbs bike around and it does take some effort. I'm not sure how to quantify that any better. When I was in Blockbuster I rolled the Tikit around the whole store without a second thought while browsing since I didn't need two hands and I wasn't in any one section for a long time. I wouldn't turn down a Tikit that did everything this one does, but rolled around as if it weighed 5lbs, but I really don't have any suggestion for what you could do to improve how it rolls???

If how the Tikit rolls is critical to you I'd definitely test one out just to make sure you are happy with it.

Yeah...it seems that most of her failures were at the beginning. I wonder if this is why.
I have no doubt that is what it was. A person walking around with cycling gear and an odd sized package is bound to draw attention vs. a someone is casual clothes and a package. In the second instance there is no reason to assume the package is a bicycle while in the first case that is the natural assumption.