View Single Post
Old 12-21-07, 12:47 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I grew up in south Texas, and if somebody rode a motorcycle, they just rode a motorcycle. We moved up to Colorado for a few years, and found out motorcycles there are very much a Summer activity. Get a nice day and everyone's out riding their Harley. The other 10 months of the year, you just don't see any motorcycles. Of course, it was like that with bicycles, too. I hiked a lot on trails that were mainly used by mountain bikers. The first time you got 1/4" of snow on the ground, all the mountain bikes disappeared and you didn't see 'em again till next spring.

Ever hear the song "Hotrod Lincoln"? From the late 50's or early 60's, I think. Anyway, in the song, a Cadillac passes the guy up. So I assume back then a Cadillac was thought of as a reasonably high-performance vehicle back then. And now, of course, it's a geezermobile, used by people driving 45 mph with their blinkers on. Well, the Harley is the Cadillac of the next generation. I notice you seldom see any Harley riders under 40, not too many under 50, and average speeds have dropped, too- drive 65 and you don't have many Harley's passing you. Give 'em another 20 years, and they'll all be going 45 with the turn signals on.