View Single Post
Old 12-24-07, 07:51 PM
Smallwheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Winter Supplies

Does anyone else here stock up on items for the winter?

I knew that there were certain items that I would not want to carry on my bicycle during the snowy winter months. These would be bulky items that are not food. When I go out riding in the snow I don't want to be using all of my carrying capacity for four rolls of toilet paper. I would prefer to make my trips only for food. My favorite grocery store is over four miles away.

I decided to purchase large quantities of the non food items to get me through the winter months. This way they wouldn't be taking up valuable food space on my grocery trips.
This is what I bought:

1. Huge container of laundry detergent good for over 100 loads.
2. Plenty of dish washing detergent.
3. Liquid dish washing soap.
4. Enough bar soap for the winter.
5. Many boxes of tissue paper.
6. Enough toilet paper for 4 months.
7. New pillows for my bed.

Getting those items during warm months isn't a big deal. It is fun to make grocery trips in good weather, but being forced by necessity to go out in the snow for an item that isn't food can be annoying and an inconvenience.

In Montana there was an early snowfall in October. It stayed on the ground until the week before Halloween. Since then there has been almost no snow staying on the ground up to now (which is fine with me).

My next winter purchase will be new studded bicycle tires, because the snow and ice will get here eventually and I don't like falling down.

Who else stocks up for winter? This probably is only a concern for people who live with snow. This never entered my mind when I lived in the New Orleans area with five major grocery stores within one mile of my house.