View Single Post
Old 12-25-07, 10:22 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
A Christmas Celebration

Christmas is the season of rebirth.

On December 22, 2005, I was 385 pounds and hospitalized with chest pains. My physical condition was so poor that in other to perform a stress test, the doctors gave me a drug to simulate the effect of exercise. I wouldn't have been able to exercise enough for the test to register without endangering myself.

On December 24, 2006, I rode a bicycle for the first time in my life. I managed 1.5 miles before a mailbox jumped in front of me and I crashed. It took nearly an hour for me to get through that ride.

On December 24, 2007, I rode 35 miles from Doylestown, PA, to Bethlehem, PA, a ride that featured more than 2500 feet of climbing and a hill of more than 12 per cent grade. OK, I walked the 12 per cent hill, and parts of a few others. I followed up the following day with another ride of 35 miles. This after two days of 25 + mile days. And I'm closing in on the 3000 mile mark for the year.

Christmas is the season of rebirth. I know, because I've lived it. I was lost, and now I am a cyclist.

Me at 360, after losing 25 pounds, February 2006.

Me at 260 or so, this morning, Green Lane Reservoir, near Red Hill, PA. Forgive the extra weight and facial hair, folks, please. It's the cycling off-season. :-)