Old 12-30-07, 09:51 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Don't worry, jhon, you and your fellow motoring lobbyists are safe - all those suggestions were tongue in cheek quips for eliminating right hooks! did you really think I was serious?

although, to reduce right hooks midblock by inattentive parkers, I'm sure removal of parking or motorists altogther as part of a road and driving diet have quite effective in more progressive communities and perhaps even led to economic development. I believe there's this Strasse in Berlin where it's worked admirably.....

anyhow, I digress. No worry, john, you and the motor lobby doesn't have to prepare for an onslaught of 15MPH proposals- oh, and communities have also reduced speed limits.....

So, the onus of the hook is on the motorists. A motorist failing to yield to a bike to the right is violating the rules of the road.

No contradiction there to my argument. the positioning that makes it possible is the cause and the motorist is the actor not the bicyclist, but same effect....a violation of basic vehicular rules of the road that can occur when thru traffic operates to the right of potentially right turning traffic.

Lets envision a scene.... there you are, jhon, riding to the right of steady traffic in a well buffered bike lane- oh, and riding vehicularily, mind you A&S miscreants out there- and a motorist pulls across your path to park midblock and almost right hooks you. The fault of the bike lane or the motorist? sounds like it's not the bike lane but the motorist.

according to jhon,riding to the right as potentially right hooking traffic passes doesn't violate the rules of the road....okay......remove all the stripes, add as many of them as you want, it sounds like riding right of potentially turning faster traffic ISN'T a violation of the rules of the road until the motorist errs.

Last edited by Bekologist; 12-31-07 at 12:01 AM.