View Single Post
Old 01-02-08, 05:54 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Single.
Teenage son from first marriage lives with me.
Seven year old daughter from second marriage with me about 40% of the time.
Gave up my profession during second marriage to raise mine and her kids and can't get back into it because I don't have current training and experience (it's a young git's game anyway).
Can't get other work because although discrimination on the grounds of age or parenting responsibilities is against the law here in Australia, I'm too old and too restricted to be considered. ****, I applied for a leaflet delivery job recently and didn't even warrant a reply. I've signed up for a librarian's course (at uni) next year, but was rejected for a librarian traineeship on the same day they received my application despite 'no experience needed'. The family fraud ... er ... court system here ensured that most of my payout from the last marriage was spent ensuring I kept contact with my daughter. That was essentially my life savings gone - the ex came into the marriage with nothing and walzed out of it with the house I'd owned at the time and most of the money. So I'm too old to get a job (at 51), can't afford to buy even a small hovel and stupid enough to keep doing the right thing by my kids.

Yeah, I buy bikes, but it's retail therapy - dearer than booze but probably better for me.

Richard