Old 01-03-08, 08:16 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in traffic court the other day and listened to a hearing for a fellow charged with careless driving. He was about 60, and an engineer at Kennedy Space Center. One weekday around noon, on a clear sunny day, he was turning left out of his subdivision onto a somewhat busy local road. He didn't see a van approaching from the left and hit it. The passenger was ejected and killed. He and the other driver had minor injuries. The passenger was a 35-year old mother of three returning to work after lunch.

There were no drugs or alcohol involved, no cell phone, no nothing other than simple inattentiveness that shattered the lives of many people. That simple negligence resulted in a ticket for a simple traffic infraction.

Lance said that if you're afraid of falling off the bike, you shouldn't get on it. I know I could get killed anytime I'm on the road, either on my bike or in my car. I reduce the chances by driving safely and riding safely. But the chances of something bad happening will never go away.