Old 01-05-08, 10:57 AM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BearSquirrel
I don't think this bears on the equations. The plates don't wear, it's the rollers.

From the evidence I've read it seems the cleanliness of the chain is the only indicator. A study found that the types of chain lubrication had very little impact on the efficiency of the chain. Only the cleanliness played a significant factor. Efficiency is an indicator of internal friction. Friction equates to grit in the works which means more wear.

Roadies chains wear longer because they are on pavement instead of kicking up dirt. I've trashed too many drivetrains using bad advice. I listened to people who said chain checkers were not accurate. But I've trashed a cassette/ring at the .02 side of the chain checker. Yes, I am a standing climber so I likely have a greater need for precision.

So OP, do yourself a favor and buy a chain machine. Wash and lube often. Use alcohol as a rinse to increase decrease drying time. Lube with dry to keep the chain from picking up more crap.
the inner plates do in fact, wear. the holes that the pins go through get larger, which is why you can take a worn chain and flex it to the side much farther than a new chain. if the plates did not wear, the chain would not elongate, and you wouldn't be able to measure the wear with a ruler. if the inner plates are drilled out to the pin (like a KMC SL chain) that's less material (about 20% less) to wear, and so it's not going to last as long. the outer plates do not wear, because the pin is fixed in them and does not move around.

Last edited by OneTinSloth; 01-05-08 at 11:03 AM.