Old 01-05-08, 06:02 PM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bottom bracket seized on my rental bike in Austria in October. My cell phone didn't work but I finally reached the rental company through the assistance of a good Samaritan. They told me it was in my rental agreement that it was my responsibility to fix the bike, but the Samaritan said there was no bike shop in the small town where I was marooned, any my tool kit had no bottom bracket tool. I was panicking but fortunately found out that there was a bike shop in another town, and there was a bus in an hour and a half. My partners went ahead while I waited for the bus, and found out that there was no mechanic that day. However he agreed to come in specially, and arrived just as my bus arrived. He only charged me 15 euros to fix it enough to get me back to Salzburg, about $22, which the rental company reimbursed. Can you imagine that happening here in North America?

All ended well but it is really unsettling to have a breakdown a long way from home. I guess things always work out, as I am sure it did for the cyclist you met.