Old 01-05-08, 07:52 PM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
Little Pixel,

Can you clarify something that confuses me about the portable laptop computers?
I can but try!

I thought that you have to drag a huge battery around with you
You do but they get lighter and last longer as technology improves. I carry a large 15" Powerbook to work with me on a bike in a small rucksack reasonably often and find it fine. It would be even better in a pannier.
To clarify—the battery is built into the chassis of the unit and not something 'extra' to carry along with it, (unless you wanted to carry a second one as a spare which some business travellers do but is not something most owners do.

[as a side note - interesting to read that 2008 US FDAA regs that have just come in ban extra lithium-ion batteries in checked luggage on planes - supposedly to do with fire risk]

Most laptop batteries will last you about 4 hours at full charge, though you can eek it out longer by running the screen at lower brightness, avoiding use of the CD/DVD drive and using the inbuilt power-save settings so the processor is more efficient in it's power use.

Similarly, the power cord to use at your destination (or on some trains, planes) is usually pretty small and light, and can easily be stowed with the machine if you do decide to take it on the road. Have a look at these: http://www.actionoutdoors.co.uk/laptop%20rucksack.htm and tell me if these sort of bags don't advertise their contents and provide space to stow power cord, discs, even a mouse

I thought that with desktops, you don't have to do this
Well with a desktop - sure - there's no battery but you can't run it without a power hookup.
And yes - the power 'brick' as some people call them is usually built into the machine (though not on all machines - ie Mac Mini)

So to sum up - both need a power hook up for constant use. Batteries are internal on a laptop and not something 'extra' to carry with you, and the power lead for a portable is not some huge behemoth. As an example a Mac power lead for a laptop has little built in lugs on it so the cord can be easily coiled, is about 3" x 3" by .75" and weighs about as much as a packet of butter.

Am I missing something here?
Possibly!

What about things to plug into it like a permament printer
The lead you'd use to plug it in to peripheral devices is called a USB lead and is an identical piece of cable for a laptop or a desktop machine. Again - it's lightweight and easily stowed if you wanted to transport it with you. The printer sadly won't be portable but with a laptop you can use it like a desktop machine, then simply unplug the USB connector and off you go.
A lot of people go to printshops like Kinkos, or to Internet cafés when away from home if they need to print. Also a lot of hotels offer a 'business center' nowadays where you can show up and print off things you need for a modest cost.

or a CD burner
Almost all but the very cheapest Laptops have a CD-burner built in these days (same for desktops). Oft called 'Superdrives' or similar they can burn CDs and read DVDs too. A lot of laptops can even burn DVDs too. So the need for external device is unlikely, but if it was something you needed to use, it too would connect with USB or, on a Mac with the choice of USB and Firewire (which is an alternative to USB which transfers data even faster between devices).

FYI - USB stands for Universal Serial Bus - the word 'universal' being the one of note. Everything can be connected with this connector - Camera, full size keyboard, webcam, printer, scanner, mouse...

At one time - having a laptop meant sacrificing function for portability, but this really is not the case any more, the only real down sides being battery life when away from a power source and ergonomics for sustained use.

Hope that's some help!
Huw

Last edited by LittlePixel; 01-05-08 at 08:01 PM.