View Single Post
Old 01-07-08, 01:31 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
I agree with everything with the following modifications

Originally Posted by MrCjolsen
1. Tiagra is good.
Tiagra shifters/brake levers are good and rugged. The Tiagra triple front derailer is probably one of the best front that Shimano makes. Much better than their higher end equipment. Better clearance. I'd opt for a mountain bike rear derailer since they have a wider capacity. Deore is very good and very cheap.

2. Also a good idea. If you can, get some older mtb cranks or a "touring crankset" with 48 36 26 gearing.
A Shimano Trekking crank is an excellent choice. JensonUSA has them for $75.

3. Yes.

Or just run 35s all the time. Speed difference isn't that great.

4. You might want rims on the wider side so that you can take advantage of the bikes ability to use fat tires.
Salsa Delgados or Mavic A719 touring rims or Velocity Dyad would be good choices. 36 spoke is better than 32 if you want to do touring. Not enough weight penalty to worry about. Match them to XT hubs for a really good wheel.

5. Get cantilever brakes. V brakes (as sold on most mtb's and hybrids today) don't work with road bike levers.
Cantilevers are good but probably not Avid Shorty. They tend to squeal. I have a set running with Koolstop Dual compound pads that haven't squealled yet but with stock pads expect to wake the dead

Stem - Make sure it works with road bars and fits on a 1 1/8 steer tube.
Headset - Sealed Cane Creek headsets are cheap and work well.
Bottom bracket - English threaded, 68mm shell. Spindle must fit cranks be they square taper, ISIS, Octalink etc. NOTE: Crosschecks often have crank clearance issues at the chainstays. For example, Shimano 105, Ultegra, and DA double setups don't work with 109.5 mm spindles. I don't know about triples.
Seatpost - Any 27.2 will work.
Saddle - Crosschecks like Brooks 17s.
Bars - any road bar works.
For bars and stems, Salsa Bell Lap and a Salsa stem are good choices. The Salsa Shaft post is fairly easy to adjust, however the Race Face Cadence is slightly easier and a good post.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!