View Single Post
Old 01-08-08, 10:24 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
" I just saw a thread on it and it's a Selle Royal CX. But...how does it compare to other leather saddles like Brooks, Ideale, etc..?"

Some years ago, Nashbar was selling some Selle Royale for around $5 ea, so I got one & found it comfortable, although others disagree. I rode it on several commuter bikes then put it on the Zeus I gave to my son. He also likes it for the rides he does.(20-30 miles) It is similar to a Turbo but has firmer padding. I also had a similar type saddle that Brooks made called the "Vitesse": a plastic base with layer of medium padding & a thin leather cover. These are quite different from the traditional leather Brooks.

Comfort is very subjective & depends on your anatomy as well as the amount & type of cycling you do, but of those I have personally ridden, I would rate them from least comfy to most comfy as follows: Brooks Vitesse, Selle Royale, Turbo(all similar but the padding moves from firmer to softer with turbo being softest) then a big jump in comfort to the heavy/thicker all leather saddles: Ideal, Pryma, Selle, Brooks Swallow, Pro, Swift, B15, B17, B72. Don