Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SandraL
<SNIP>
Any suggestions?
Should I give it a try to the cycling classes or the skating? Or any other idea.
Thanks
I started this past winter with Pilates and Spinning. The Pilates in one heck of a good core workout that would be an excellent addition to cycling. Pilates is not so much aerobic, but you realy get a great work out. I enjoyed the short 30 minute spinning classes as I was new to this and figured I'd probably pass out is I tried a 1 hour class. I also like the fact that a 30 minute calls got me home much earier so at least I had an extra 1/2 hour to spend with my daughter before bed time. As the weather improved I descided to start riding my biek to work. I now could not get to the Pilates classes as the club is in an area that is definitely NOT cycling friendly. I personally found that riding through Winter so far has been easier than expected. I realy needed very little extra equipment. I did buy studded tires ($50 for a set of 2) and a beany had that fits under my helmet, but my freece pull-over and winter gloves were all already laying around the house. My commute has lengthened from 10 mintes to 20 to 30 minutes depending on the wind, but then I get home and I have done my 2 work out sessions for the day. Don't be affraid of the cold. Even with 8F all I wear is a T-shirt + Fleece + windbreaker and I am hot and need to start opening up my windbreaker by the 2nd or 3rd mile. Maybe Winter riding is not an option for you, in that case I can definitely suggest any one of the following Winter activities:

- Cross Country skiing - this is fun and generally free once you get the equipment. As an other forum member mentioned, you can get the stuff used pretty in expensive or get a completely new setup for around $200.
- Snow shoeing - Never tried it myself because I already have cross county skis. This should be very fun as well and an other good excuse to get outside and breath some fresh air
- Take a Pilates, body sculpting, or any other kind of call at your YMCA, these can be superb workouts. Some of these may be more muscle building while others are more of an aerobic workout. Mix it up so you don't get bored, and you also work many parts of the body.
- Try Spinning (aka cycling). At my club there were people of all abilities. It was not unusual for the instructor to have to show a student how to mount the bike. Novices were definitely welcome.
- Ice skating is tons of fun as a general activity, but unless you have a speed skating track I don't see it being much of a workout. I used to skate outside when I grew up in the Netherlands, but in all fairness good skating conditions only existed for a few days at a time each year. When the conditions were right we would go on some fun tracks. Here in the USA people generaly freak if you are out on natural ice... never mind the ice may be strong enough to support a a truck. With hockey or figure skates you get get around a rink OK, but it gets boring very quickly. With speed skates you can realy get into a nice rythem, kind of like rollerblading, but you need much more space. I still do enjoy going to rink to skate, but as I stated above I see this as a fun activity, but not much of a physical workout.

Happy riding,
André